I was given the NuvaRing to try yesterday, so technicially this is my 2nd day on NuvaRing.
First a little bit about me and my current situation:
I am a 22-year-old college student living in Oregon. My boyfriend and I have been together a total of 4 years next month (YAY!). I started birth control when I was 18 and I have always been on the pill.
I was first given Lo/ovral which worked great for me for 3+ years until I started experiencing spotting between periods. At first it wasn't a big deal, but it seemed every month it got heavier and heavier until it seemed I was on my period for an average of 2 weeks a month. NOT GOOD!
I was then given Desogen (this last January) to try. My doctor said the hormones weren't effecting my body the same way anymore so she wanted me to try something new. Bad idea!
Now, my experience with Desogen wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either.
I experienced these following side effects:
- increased appetite (it was to the point where I had to eat every few hours or I felt like I was starving to death)
- decreased sex drive =(
- weight gain (which I had never experienced with Lo/ovral beside going up a 1/2 cup size)
- extreme moodiness
- acne breakouts
- fatigue
- on top of that, it didn't help with my spotting issue! Just made it worse!
I had done quite a bit of research on the internet about other methods of birth control. I wanted something that didn't have high quantities of hormones, something I wouldn't have to remember to take every day, and (hopefully) something that would give me fewer and lighter periods.
I came up with the implant Implanon, the IUC Mirena, and the ring NuvaRing.
Now, I was scared off of Implanon with all of the bad reviews out there regarding severe bleeding and periods that lasted 2 months or more!!
I am still seriously considering Mirena, but I'm not sure if it's the right method for me. (Please read my Mirena IUD blog to find out more)
So I was left with NuvaRing.
Yesterday I went in to my local Planned Parenthood because I was interested in getting the Mirena IUC. They gave me all the information on the IUC (again, read blog) and asked me if I wanted to try another method while I thought about it. I asked them about NuvaRing.
The thing that got me interested in NuvaRing was the simplicity of it. You insert a ring and keep it in for 3 weeks, take it out for 1 week so you can have your period, and then you insert a new ring. How easy is that?
Now, NuvaRing doesn't normally give you fewer periods unless you do extended cycling (which is what I'll be doing). You put the ring in on the same day once a month. For example: If you put in your first ring today, which is Saturday, you would only need to replace it every 4 weeks (28 days). You don't need to have a ring-free week. So you would take your old ring out and replace it with a new one the same day. Easy as pie!
I inserted my ring yesterday when I got home. It was kind of weird trying to make sure I got it in right. You want to make sure that you can't feel it when you walk. You pinch the plastic ring between your fingers and push it up into your vagina. Don't be afraid to push it too far, you can't (I asked the nurse). You can even use an empty tampon applicator to help push it up far enough. It WON'T fall out (which my boyfriend is insisting will happen lol) because it rests against your cervix. It's just like inserting a tampon and those don't fall out if you insert them correctly right? =)
I kept thinking I was forgetting to take my pill last night. I would reach into my purse to pull out my pack and then I would remember about the ring. I think it will take me a little while to remember that I DON'T have to take a pill anymore!! Crazy!
Anyways, if I decide that the NuvaRing is going to work for me, I probably won't get the Mirena IUC.
However, if it DOESN'T work out, I will be making an appoinment for my IUC consult within the next 3-6 months. (When you try out a new bc method, you want to stick it out for AT LEAST that long because that's how long it could take your body to get used to the hormones. Something that bothers you the first month or so may not bother you after a while. Just try it out, if it doesn't work, on to the next!!)
I will keep everyone posted on my experience with the NuvaRing. My side effects, etc.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment